Thursday, June 5, 2008

Planning for the Future

“Plan your future as if there were an endless number of tomorrows.” I heard this the other day while watching a C-Span book review on t.v. Of course, this was something that began rumbling around in my brain as I thought about the statement and applied it to my life.

I like to think of myself as an optimistic person, although I tend to mix it with a dash of worry. I’m working on eliminating worry from my repertoire, but it’s been part of me for so long, it’s not letting go easily. I live partly in the future as well as in the present, so this author’s statement struck me as something to consider at a deeper level.

I know that I don’t have an endless number of tomorrows. None of us do. However, as I plan for the future, I don’t spend much, if any, time considering my mortality. It was difficult enough for me to write a will and designate who will get what after I’m gone. It was not a simple process to go through, and now that my will is safely put out of mind in the safe deposit box, I can concentrate on more fun and exciting plans for my future. I realize that Death will cancel any plans I’ve made, but that’s not a good enough reason to stop making them.

I love the anticipation of future plans and events. Today I am thinking about the coming week-end and my trip to Belmont, NC, to visit Grady and Martha. I can picture myself with an afternoon glass of wine in my hand in my brother and sister-in-law's living room, getting a buzz from margaritas at Monterrey Restaurant, and strolling through the rows of summer sales at the mall and irresistible shoes at the shoe warehouse with Martha. And to add to the picture, this time I will be traveling with my other sister-in-law, Ginger. I can only imagine the fun the three of us will have when we get together for a day of shopping. I am also thinking beyond the week-end, as I return home on Sunday. The wild plums are getting ripe, and I am excited about going back out into the briars and brambles Sunday evening to pick plums for jelly-making. Ahh, the thoughts of all the things I have planned for my future!

But I realize that I also need to be careful about ignoring or overlooking the present as I get ready for the future. I don’t want to miss something wonderful and noteworthy now because my head is in the clouds, looking ahead down the road and not on eye-level marveling at the flowers at my feet. At this moment, I am sitting at my desk. The hint of a spectacular sunrise is right outside my window, and my kitty, Rocky, is purring away while nipping at my feet. Wild plums that I picked last night are simmering on the stove, perfuming the air with their delicious aroma. This moment is spectacular. I don’t want to lose it dreaming about the future!

Savor the moment--------plan for the future. I think I can do both!

No comments: