Friday, February 6, 2009

Cousin Kate's Birthday Week-end

Last week-end four of us Campbell Girl Cousins, Laura, Betsy, Kate, and I met at Kate’s house in North Carolina to celebrate Kate’s twentieth anniversary of her 50th birthday. While I am unable to extract one day of the three that we were there to write about, I will jot my notes of things I learned over the week-end from my cousins.


A Few Things I Observed and/or Learned While With My Sister Cousins:

White hair is beautiful.

Cashmere is something to be valued far above polyester - and worth stealing from one another for!

There are lots of good things I could add to my daily nutritional intake: fish oil, turmeric, cranberry gelcaps, grape seed, Bio-Ear (for tinnitus), MUFAs, super foods, baby aspirin, Nite-trition (restful sleep supplement). All of this in addition to stuff I am already ingesting: calcium citrate, vitamin D, wine, whole grains, nuts, and dark chocolate (of which some of these are MUFAs- I repeat myself for those who may not have Googled this term yet).

Gin and tonic is very good to drink while playing Mexican Train Dominoes. Wine is helpful, too. Both take the edge off of losing or forgetting to remove your train when you can rejoin the game.

There is a brand of wine labeled “OOPS”. Included in this label are “Cheeky Little Red” and “Bodacious Blonde.” There is also a brand called “Middle Sister”, which we dedicated to Kate – “Wicked White” and “Voluptuous Red.” Very good stuff!

You can definitely overeat at the Sunday brunch at the Grove Park Inn.

While a boutique may have nothing I can afford, I love looking at the styles, fondling the fabric, and daydreaming about being a millionaire.

A Belldini blouse is something to be oohed and ahhed over, especially if it has bling.

There is a wonderful website for my single cousins, http://www.plentyoffish.com/.

Bamboo sheets are to die for.

Interior decorating is a Campbell trait I missed - it was reinforced that I wasn't in line when that one was handed out.

Men can’t resist the fragrance of vanilla.

I need to look into the Flat Belly Diet.

I wish I had a Fresh Market nearby.

Alibris.com has better prices on books than Amazon.com

Some cousins need more luggage for a week-end trip than others.

The style of pajamas differs among cousins.

What one wears to bed can affect the sleeping arrangements.

I need to look into buying an Earthbox for growing salad greens and tomatoes on my deck.

It isn’t a smart thing to ask someone on her birthday if her diabetes is the “geriatric kind.”

I also picked up some wise (or not-so-wise) sayings:

A man is looking for a nurse or a purse.
Men marry for sex, women marry for security.
It is what it is.
Laugh about what you’ve had. Don’t cry about what you’ve lost.
Tend your own garden.
Life is an adventure.
Remember your first _____________.
In reference to Kate’s two husbands, both named John - It can take two Johns to make a Mr. Right.
And my all-time most hated one, but one Betsy liked – Bloom where you are planted.

It was a great week-end, and one that I returned home from exhausted but full of fun memories. We are now more than mere cousins. We have coined a new term, Sissins, a shortened term for Sister Cousins.

And that's exactly what we are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennie, its Mimi, Kate's favorite daughter, dont tell Suzanne. I loved the blog. I too have eaten too much at the Grove Park and wandered New Morning Gallery with delusions of grandeur. I am glad you guys could spend the 20th anniversary when we could not. I know if meant a lot to Kate. I hope I grow up as cool as you guys, I am off to a slow start. : )

Jennie said...

Don't get discouraged. I am a late bloomer, and have only in the past few years become "cool." I've learned a lot from my Campbell cousins!! My best advice is to stay observant and learn from the pros! That's what I'm doing.