Sunday, March 15, 2009

Reinventing Jennie

Now that it’s been two weeks since I was laid off from my job, I have licked my wounds, done a little grieving, and I’m ready for the next chapter in my life. Phil’s words of wisdom are now speaking to me, “There can’t be an end without a beginning, and there can’t be a beginning without an end.” I am putting an ending behind me and beginning something new.

I spent a few days with some cousins in North Carolina this week, and they are encouraging me to re-invent myself. This sounds intriguing to me. One of the things that hit me after losing my job was that I was getting bored with a lot of what I was doing, which was no longer creative, but routine. I loved what I thought was the security of my job, and the steady paycheck was very nice. I also loved the subject matter of the information that I was classifying and cataloging for the online knowledge center, and it held my interest at peak as I went through the tasks at hand. I was also very proud of my “baby”, and nurtured it as if it were my own. The truth of it was- it wasn’t mine. The Knowledge Center and the information in it belong to the users- I was only the person who created it and made the information in it accessible. I’d do it again in a heartbeat if I had the chance, but if I don’t, then let’s reinvent Jennie and see what else she can do.

As I re-wrote my resume, and learned how to write a curriculum vitae, I realized that there is a lot of stuff that I know how to do, and have done very well in my professional career. One of my cousins noted that I have a valuable skill set, and I only need to find a way to market myself to those who are looking for someone like me. It was great being with this group of relatives this week, because not only did I receive the love and support of family, but I also benefitted from learning of their experiences and using them as sounding boards as we brainstormed about different directions I might take in my new beginning.

Brian is also encouraging me to get off my duff and see if I can get the book I wrote published. I’ve also begun writing a novel, and now that I have more time that I can call my own, he is nudging me to get back to it. He is my unofficial literary advisor, and I count on him to steer me in the right direction in this part of my life.

Whatever I do, I’m going to have to make a living, so my main concern is finding something that will help pay the bills. In the meantime, I’ll be collecting my weekly unemployment check with great gratitude, and focusing my energy on the reinvention of Jennie.

3 comments:

Staci said...

Sounds like a great plan! The reinvention and the book! Let me know if I can be of any help. I am a good reader, and a nerd who likes reviewing resumes. I can also spread the word to my media/library/etc. friends if you like.

Marie Ward said...

Jennie,

I'm happy to read your in good spirits and remain hopeful. But most importantly your are reviewing your options and taking stock. As I've said before I think the novel will be very successful and I can't wait to read it. I'll be happy to proof it if you need! I know in my heart your reinvention will be splendid and I can't wait to see what unfolds.

Luv Ya,
Marie

Anonymous said...

Jennie,

I'm an avid reader of your blog and was glad to see the new posting this morning. You have a great writing style and I'm sure your book would be a success. I am attending a job search support group at Cannon Church on Tuesdays at 6:00 p.m. Maybe you would want to come along with me one week. Call me anytime, I'm home looking for a job also. 770-979-9943.

Love you,

Connie