Sunday, May 13, 2012

Three Things

It's been awhile since I've added anything to my blog. In fact, it's been over three months. I think it's time to get back into the groove. It isn't that I haven't been writing. I began a new journal in March, in which I am doing a different kind of writing. It is one of introspection and very personal thoughts. It has been quite an adventure for me as a writer, and has presented a challenge of writing in a new way. Years ago, I wrote in a journal for awhile, and as I look back at my writing, I can see that what I wrote wasn't entirely truthful, and I wrote thinking more about what someone might think who might happen across my journal. It definitely was not what my honest thought of the day was. This time I am doing my best to tell the truth, at least the truth as I see it on a particular day. And, if someone should stumble across it after I am long gone, maybe it will provide some interesting conversation!

I have been on an intense spiritual journey the past few months. I lost a very good paying job, and am now working at a much lower salary. The new job, however, has the well-paying one beat by a country mile, and for me it is a much healthier environment. During this time, I've been faced with financial challenges, as well as personal ones as I adjust to a more thrifty lifestyle and an uncertain future. It has turned my face more directly toward God and studying his will for my life.

Last Sunday's sermon at Marble Collegiate church, which I attend online, was about living in God's will. The scripture was from I Thessalonians. It spoke directly to me, and I have been repeating the three things Paul speaks of in this scripture everyday this week. They are: Be joyful. Pray continuously. Be thankful in all things. Well, in traveling along this road I find myself on, I find that I am praying more, relying and trusting in God more, and being joyful and thankful in all things, both good and not so good. The third one is a real challenge to me. I can always find things to be joyful in, and God has always been only a prayer away. But being thankful for the bad stuff? Well, that's tough! It is something that I have to work on.

I'd better get started on this for today.

1 comment:

Marie Ward said...

Hey Jennie,
its funny how we're thinking along the same lines. I went to a family members funeral this weekend and the preacher left me with one great, simple as well as strikenly difficult point "Look for God in everything, He's there!" The bad, the good and the misunderstood. He says that most people say "the devil is hard at work" but reminded us that the devil can't do anything without God's permission. I believe that God is in everything it just difficult to find his influence or reasons in things that are negative to their core. SO I am working really hard to Find God in everything and ultimately I believe this train of thought will help me discover a positive in everything develop my positive thinking if you will. Oh by the way I just started a personal journal too basically so I won't forget the many random thoughts that pass through my head and record the many God inspired craziness that happens in my home. Miss you Jennie!