Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Heart of Christmas

Up until yesterday, I thought I was ready for Christmas, but I wasn’t. There was a small hole in my heart that I didn’t even know was there until we arrived in Indianapolis.

Driving up here to be with Brian and Roy to celebrate the holiday was special in itself, and going out to dinner before making our way to the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra’s “Yuletide Celebration” was something worth looking forward to simply because they are so much fun to be around. Roy was performing in the concert, so we were all excited with anticipation of the upcoming event. On our walk from the parking garage to the restaurant in downtown Indianapolis, we happened upon someone we had met two years earlier in Nashville, Jack Everly, Principal Pops Conductor of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra. We paused to visit for a few minutes before heading in our respective directions. Then, around the corner, we were greeted by Ann Hampton Callaway, the hostess and star of the show. Overflowing with personality and life, she greeted us as if she had run into old friends, and I knew immediately that we were in for a real treat when we went to the performance a little later. Already the evening was promising to be fun, but I was not emotionally prepared for what I would experience in the next few hours.

We settled into our seats in Hilbert Circle Theater and as the program began, the spirit of Christmas settled as softly as falling snowflakes over the theater. We enjoyed the fun of the saxophone playing Capitol Quartet, the warmth of Ann as she welcomed the audience with her crystal voice and song, the amazing voice of Daniel Okulitch, and of course, the Dancing Santas and Singing Elves. I honed in on watching Roy, following the sweeping bows and nimble fingers of the violinists, and becoming mesmerized by the fluid motions of Jack Everly as he conducted the orchestra with the grace and poise of a true artist.

It was during the second portion of the production that my heart was touched. As Ann sang “I Wonder as I Wander”, the spirit of Christmas penetrated to my innermost being, and I was swept away by the wonder and miracle of Christmas. Tears filled my eyes, and ran down my cheeks from that moment until the program ended. I realized that something had been missing from my Christmas celebration up until this moment, and what was missing was the music. Nothing could have been more beautiful than the music that was surrounding me, whirling around me, and carrying me to a place of pure joy and serenity. Listening to the unique arrangements of familiar Christmas hymns brought me back to the true meaning of Christmas, and filled the small hole in my heart.

After the performance, as I was recovering while waiting for Roy to make his way from backstage to meet us, I was satisfied that my evening had truly been a day that would be in my collection. The real surprise came as Roy met us and told us that we were invited to join Jack Everly in his room backstage. Wow! Could there possibly be more to this wonderful evening?

In a few minutes I was seated on a comfortable sofa in a delightful room filled mostly by a grand piano. One of our hosts, Ty Johnson, Executive Producer of the “Yuletide Celebration”, immediately felt like someone I’d known for years, instead of someone I’d just met. A wonderful host, he treated us to delicious cookies and petit fours, along with a bubbly glass of champagne. Soon, Jack joined us, and we enjoyed talking to the two of them and getting to know them both. It was such an honor for me to be in this place and with these two gentlemen , I could hardly believe that this was actually happening. Over the course of the evening I had been given a divine gift in the music I had experienced, and to be in the presence of stewards of God’s gift of music was almost more than I could comprehend and absorb.

As I write this, I find myself totally at a loss to express the way I am feeling about last night. I only know that in my prayers I have often asked for confirmation of my faith, and last night my prayer was answered. My confirmation is music, and it’s been with me all along, all my life. It is truly God’s sweetest gift and one that is all the proof I need that there is much more to life and the universe than what we can experience with our five senses. Music carries me beyond this earth and shows me a glimpse of heaven.

Now I am ready for Christmas.

No comments: