Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A Brand New Day

Today is going to be a busy day, so I got an early start this morning. I was up, dressed, and wrist-deep in bread dough by 6:00 am. The weatherman is promising another warm, sunny day, which I am going to absolutely love! Here are my plans for the day.

While the bread is rising, I am checking my email and my Facebook page, and I’m writing this blog entry.

I’ll be at my window in about an hour to watch the sun rise, after which I’ll form my bread into loaves and bake them.

While the bread is in the oven, I’ll start a new tray of tomato seeds. I’m not pleased with the ones I’ve planted so far this spring. They sprouted very quickly, but then lost their oomph. Most haven’t made it past their first couple of weeks of life. Now that the weather is warming up, I won’t have to rely on indoor grow lights and I can see how they’ll fare out in the great outdoors. I have great hope and expectations that they’ll like it as much outside as I do.

I plan to plant my squash and cucumbers later this morning. I prepared the spot for them yesterday in the open space between my two strawberry beds. I think they’ll like it there. As a treat, I am going to plant a row of sunflower seeds on the western edge of their bed, and look forward to smiling sunflower faces later this summer.

At noon, I’ll find my way into town to help out a friend. My good friend, Vickie, is having a lumpectomy for breast cancer today, and I am going over to her house with Diamond to give her German Shepherd, Shadow, some mid-day time outside. I’m sure that Diamond and Shadow will enjoy a romp in his back yard together. I’ll leave a loaf of my fresh bread on her kitchen counter while I’m there.

As of right now, I have no plans for afternoon. Perhaps I’ll make it to our lower garden to plant some beans and purple hull peas. Maybe I’ll pull out my knitting and begin another baby wash cloth. Or, I might relax out on my porch with a good book, which will probably segue into an afternoon nap. Option Number Three is looking like it might be the winner.

As the day comes to an end, Phil and I will enjoy a nice supper, and then Diamond and I will set out for our daily three-mile walk. We are both working on losing a little winter fat, and we are also keeping an eye on our favorite wild plum groves along our route. The plums are in full bloom now, and visions of wild plum jelly are dancing in my head.

So, that’s how this new day looks as the light begins to invade the eastern sky. I think it’s going to be a very good day.

No comments: