Thursday, July 24, 2008

Chicago Surprise!

This time last week I was eagerly anticipating my upcoming long week-end trip to visit Wade in Chicago. My suitcase was packed and my flight reservation confirmed. Wade had made all of the arrangements for my trip and had bought my ticket as a combined birthday and Mother’s Day gift. Chicago and my son were beckoning me, and I could hardly wait to get to Wade’s apartment and have three full days to explore the city with him.

If I had known ahead of time what was in store for me, I don’t think I could have endured the excitement. But I was totally in the dark about what was soon to happen and would remain so until Saturday morning.

After arriving in Chicago Friday evening, I got off the airport shuttle at Wade’s place hungry and ready for a good dinner. As soon as I dropped my suitcase in his apartment, we headed out on foot to find a nice restaurant that looked appealing to us. Over dinner we talked about the next few days and how we might like to spend them. The three days stretched out ahead of us unplanned and wide open for any adventures we might find. I was simply happy to be with my son and to have some precious time with him.

Saturday morning dawned late for me – I couldn’t believe it was almost 9:00 when I roused from a good night’s sleep on the air mattress on the living room floor. And I was hungry! I suggested that we go down the street to Einstein Brothers Bagel shop (one of my favorite places in Wade’s neighborhood) for a breakfast panini – my treat. Naturally, Wade was agreeable to this plan, so we quickly dressed and headed toward coffee and food.

Everything changed as we finished breakfast and went back to Wade’s apartment. As I turned the corner from his entry foyer into his living room, I couldn’t believe my eyes. Brian and Roy were sitting on my air mattress, grinning and announcing “Surprise!” I was flabbergasted. My three boys were in the same room with me, and I ‘d had no clue that anything was in the air. I was totally and absolutely surprised and thrilled. All I could do was hug each one of them over and over and cry! Wade had orchestrated the entire week-end without letting the cat out of the bag, and here we all were, together in Chicago for three whole days! I couldn’t be happier if I’d tried.

The week-end passed in a blur of fun – eating out, sightseeing, going to the movies, watching movies at home, talking, laughing, walking, more walking, and enjoying plenty of food and drink along the way.

In my collection of days, these sit right up in the top of the basket and rank among the very best. I’ve wanted the four of us to be together in the same place at the same time for such a long time, and I’d just about stopped hoping it would happen anytime soon. Wade made it happen, and he, Brian, and Roy together made my wish come true.

No comments: