Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sweet Addiction

Phil is convinced – I’m addicted. And what a sweet addiction it is …. at least for me!

We all know about football, basketball and baseball widows, those women whose husbands park themselves in front of the t.v. during the sports seasons. In this case of addiction, the tables are turned. Phil is a berry widower, because every summer I am hooked on berries - picking, preserving and eating them.

Last night I got home from work after 8:00 pm to a cold hamburger sitting on the kitchen counter and Phil snoozing in the living room. Where was I all this time? At the blueberry farm! What was I doing? Picking blueberries with my friend Sandy. Do I need more blueberries? Of course not, this is my fourth trip to the farm in two weeks. I have a pantry full of jellies and preserves, and my freezer is packed beyond comfort with the fruits of my summer labors. What did I come home with? Five pounds of fresh, plump, juicy blueberries.

It was lovely at the farm last night. The heat of the day was releasing its grip on Georgia, a cool breeze was drifting through the rows of blueberry trees, and the birds were having a song fest. I was in heaven as I filled my bucket with berries I don’t need, snacked on some as I meandered down the rows, and enjoyed chatting with Sandy about a multitude of subjects.

After picking blueberries on Saturday with Marie and her children, I found myself out in the briars searching for the last of the blackberries. I can’t help myself! If I know there are luscious berries out there, I have to go searching for them. I don’t want to leave a single one to dry out and go to waste. But, with my addiction there is a huge sense of peace and pleasure. I keep very little of what I pick. Most of the fruit ends up in jelly jars ready to give away, and I pack up bags of fruit to give to friends and family. And, above all, I love being outdoors where I can pick berries and let my thoughts loose and send my worries off to drift away with the wind for a little while.

I’ll probably be out at the blueberry farm this afternoon. I want to take Rachael and Lillie over there to share it with them. I’ll pick a few more pounds of berries and help Lillie fill her bucket. I plan to make a cobbler today for Phil. And tomorrow, I’ll take blueberries to work to share with my co-workers.

Mr. Kitchen told me last night as he weighed my berries when I was finished picking that it looks like the season will extend into August!! YEAAAA!!!! Addicted? You bet!!

No comments: