Sunday, July 13, 2008

Summertime, and The Livin' Is.........

Yesterday morning while getting my hair cut and colored, my hairdresser, Layla, asked me, “Are you having a good summer?” Layla has been styling my hair for over seven years, so she knows a lot about my family, my work, and my life in general. After all, she’s my hairdresser, and when I am in her shop, which is every five weeks, we have lots to talk about. I always have an 8:00 am appointment, and am the only one in her shop. Over the years, we’ve become friends. She knows my family and I know hers through our conversations over shampooing, hair cutting, coloring, highlighting and eyebrow waxing.

Layla knows my sons by name, even though she’s never met them. She wanted to know if they were coming to see me this summer, or if I had plans to go to Chicago and New York, where they live. She also knows about my barn home, my berry picking and my gardening. Yesterday, she was the recipient of a jar of wild plum jelly, which she accepted with many thanks. She told me that she will have a jar of wild cherry preserves for me the next time I come in from her home country of Iran. She always repays my small gifts with those of her own, usually something unique to her home country and culture.

After Layla asked the question about my summer, I began telling her about my upcoming trips to Chicago, Boston, and New York. We talked about Wade and Brian, and I updated her on their latest accomplishments and activities. She was sad to learn that Wade and Belinda have broken up, but she was happy to hear that he is doing so well in his job in Chicago. She always enjoys hearing about Brian and Roy and their New York life, and was thrilled when I told her that Brian is having a staged reading of his play this month. She told me that I needed to go to New York to see it. I told her that I’d be going to Maine next January to see the play when it is produced up there, so she was satisfied that I am doing what I should be doing as my sons’ mom.

I told Layla about our vegetable garden, the blueberry farm I discovered this summer, and my bumper crop of wild plums. All of this is making my summer very busy, and very full, as well. Layla also heard about our little orphan dog, Liberty, and how she is adapting to being around Diamond, Tom and Rocky. Layla loves hearing about my adventures at my barn home, and she always says, “You got out of this neighborhood at a good time!” I think it means a lot to her that I drive 45 miles to go to her shop for my hair appointments after moving out of the area five year ago. She knows that Phil’s mom is in a nursing home near her shop, so a part of our appointment time is also spent in updating her on Mom’s condition. She always checks with me before I leave, “You’re going to see your mother-in-law, aren’t you?” And at each hair appointment, she wants to know how Mom is doing.

I keep up with Layla’s family, as well. I enjoy hearing about her daughter’s and son’s summer activities, and about her husband’s ventures in the restaurant business. I have watched her children grow as the photos at her station change with every school year. I love seeing her photos of her trips back home to Iran, and have learned so much about the culture there and how her family lives in this faraway country. I am happy that her niece is now happily married to an American man, and have hopes that her other niece will be able to come to the United States to live and work.

Yes, Layla, I am having a very good summer. It is packed full this year, but I am enjoying it. And, I am glad that I have my appointments with you during the summer to keep my hair from going wild and to have these quiet Saturday mornings to spend with you.

It’s summertime, and the livin’ is…………wonderful!

No comments: