Saturday, August 2, 2008

Letting Go......Again

Yesterday was one of the hardest days in my life. I took Liberty to the Walton County Humane Society.

It brought back a memory of years ago when we took our little hound, Joey, to the Winchester, Virginia, Humane Society. We felt that we had no other choice, and it broke my heart. We had recently moved into a new parsonage on a busy road, and she couldn’t adjust to not being able to romp as she had at our previous home, which was located on 10 acres of open field. She was not happy staying indoors, and hated being tied to a chain in the yard. She was miserable, and we were, too. When we left her at the shelter, I requested to be contacted if she was ever scheduled for euthanasia. I never got a phone call, so at least I felt confident that she found a new home.

With Liberty, I am not as confident. Anyone reading my blog, please go back to the one in early July where I wrote about Liberty’s arrival at our house. Since that day, Liberty has thrived. She’s put on weight, her mange is almost gone and she now has fur on her feet, legs and ears. Her mysterious white eyes are bright and playful, while still just a little spooky to me. She is a happy little dog with a tail that won’t stop wagging. If we had no other pets, I think I’d try to keep her and train her. However, she didn’t get along with our German Shepherd, Diamond, and played the jealous sister whenever I’d give Diamond any affection. She also frightened our kitten, Rocky, and irritated Old Tom. Liberty needs to be an only child somewhere.

I tried my best to place her in a safe shelter, but kept running against brick walls. I finally got some advice from a private rescue organization in Monroe. The lady there told me that state regulations keep them from taking a dog from a private party, but that they go to the Humane Society on a regular basis to rescue adoptable pets. They also take them to Petsmart on Saturdays and Sundays for Pet Adoption Days. This gave me hope.

Yesterday was the day. I knew that every Thursday is Euthanasia Day in Monroe, so I figured that taking her on Friday would give Liberty the greatest chance of being either adopted or rescued. I cried all the way home, and then I had trouble concentrating on anything the rest of the day. I kept thinking about her, and doubting my decision. I didn’t ask to be notified if she is ever scheduled for euthanasia. I don’t want to know. I also couldn’t bring myself to take a photo of her before she left our home for the last time.

My brain tells me that I did the best thing, both for Liberty and for our little family. But my heart isn’t listening.

1 comment:

Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said...

You did the best thing all around. But, I know this was really hard for you.