Friday, August 22, 2008

Windy Day

Tropical Storm Fay is meandering her way across northern Florida today, on her way to Alabama and Mississippi. It looks like we aren’t going to get the soaking rainfall that we need so desperately here in Georgia, but the forecast is calling for clouds, wind, and scattered showers for the next several days. I hope we will get enough to water the last of the summer flowers and plump up the wild muscadines ripening on the vine twining up a sweetgum tree on the edge of our property.

I opened the french doors in my bedroom where my home office is located, as well as the one window that we can open in our living room. The breeze is drifting across the house, keeping me cool, and providing me with fresh southern air. But more than the breeze, I am enjoying listening to the wind in the pine forest outside my french doors, and the tinkling of my five sets of wind chimes out on my front deck. I don’t think there is any prettier music than wind blowing through pine needles accompanied by wind chimes. It is cloudy outside now, and if I step over to the doorway and look out, I can see the cloudy remnants of the tropical storm crossing the sky overhead. No rain yet, but the moisture in the wind tells me that it will soon be here.

Besides listening to the wind in the pines, I love the feeling of the wind blowing through my hair. Earlier this morning I took a break from my work and ventured outside for a short walk. I took out all of the hair clips keeping my hair out of my eyes while I worked and let the wind have her way with my hairdo. Back inside with tousled locks and a refreshed spirit, I am back at my desk until I can’t stand it anymore, and I’ll be back outdoors!

No comments: