Monday, September 22, 2008

The First Day of Fall

The sky is bright blue, the breeze is brisk and cool, the wildflowers are blooming everywhere, and the spider webs are draped all over my house. Fall has arrived!

I love summertime, and generally don’t anticipate fall and winter, as I hate to put my summer clothes away and start thinking in layers. This year is different, and I am actually looking forward to the change of seasons. I’m not sure yet how I feel about winter, but fall so far is looking pretty good. I have some nice clothes for the cooler weather this year, and I am looking forward to wearing some new things. I’m also very weary of sweating from the heat, and don’t think I’ll mind a few shivers this year.

I made my last batch of scuppernong jelly last night, bringing jelly making season to its official close. It’s a good time, too, because it’s almost impossible to find jelly jars anywhere! I finally located some in Winder yesterday and stocked up, just in case I may need a few before next spring. My pantry is stocked with jellies, ready to give away, and my jelly making equipment is now stored in the back of one of my kitchen cabinets. I am looking ahead to cookie season, which begins in late November as I prepare for the sixth annual Jennie Lou’s Christmas Cookie Baking Day which will be on December 6 this year.

I’ll do a good fall housecleaning between now and December, get rid of all of the spider webs, and hope that this winter is not a ladybug one. As soon as the weather gets cool, the ladybugs and all of their family and friends somehow find their way into the house, and spend the winter with us. We had an abundance of them last winter, and I am hoping that this year they may be scarce. They don’t do any harm, but thousands of them are a few too many!

The leaves haven’t begun to change color yet, so I have that to look forward to. And I know we’ll still have some warm days. But on this first day of fall, I’ll have to go for a walk and enjoy the crispness that is out there this morning.

I’m on my way now!

No comments: