Saturday, September 6, 2008

Relay for Life

It never ceases to amaze and overwhelm me how cancer touches each one of us. I’ve been participating in the American Cancer Society Relay for Life for a number of years – I’ve actually lost count of how many I have been involved in, as they are beginning to blur together – and I have to stop and think about it. I remember the first Relay I took part in, which was the year after I had breast cancer, which was 2001. I cried during the entire Survivor’s Walk. Since then, I’ve walked almost every year, maybe missing a year or two after we moved to Walton County, when my church formed a team.

How many walks I’ve made isn’t the issue here. What amazes me is the response every year when I send out my annual request for support. I always invite donations, but don’t ask for them. What I ask for is names. I want the names of people who are fighting the battle, have triumphed over cancer, and of those who have lost the fight. Three years ago I wore a memory bracelet with names of these people written on them. I had over 40 bracelets on both of my arms, and some hung around my neck as pendants to a necklace. I promised to walk a lap in honor or memory of each person. Since then, I’ve written names on my team shirt. Last year, I had so many names on my shirt, I was unable to walk a lap for each one individually – there were too many! This year I’ve enlisted my sister, Molly, to walk with me. Between the two of us, we’ll walk a lap for every single person whose name is on my shirt – I hope! The list is growing rapidly!!

I sent out my annual email this past week. The response is indeed overwhelming. I’m not counting the money that has been donated (but for which I am most appreciative), but the list of names is growing rapidly. The messages I receive from both family and friends when they send me the name(s) to put on my shirt are touching. I read stories of courage and bravery, faith and hope, joy and sadness, as well as requests for prayers. As I write this, I have tears in my eyes thinking about it. I am sure that I will cry my share of tears during the Survivor’s Walk and every lap that I walk in memory and in honor of these special folks.

Let’s all fight cancer. If we can’t do it with our money, we can at least take a walk in honor or memory of someone.

No comments: