Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Election

It’s over. All of the campaigning, the constant chatter on the television, the heated discussions on the bus, in restaurants, and just about anywhere we have been for the past two years where opinions differ- it’s oddly quiet today.

Last night, Phil, who has been following the presidential process closely, watched a movie on television. When I asked him if he was going to follow the election returns, he told me that he’d wait until morning to find out who won after all was said and done. I went into the bedroom early and settled down with the book I am currently reading. It was blessedly peaceful in our home, compared to the past several months of listening to spin, poll results, pundits debating, and all kinds of hypothesizing on all of the cable stations that Phil follows religiously.

This morning the bus ride into Atlanta was eerily quiet. Nobody mentioned the election, or even talked much at all during the commute. Once in my office, I found people reluctant to say something to co-workers, including myself. I knew pretty much who in the office voted for which candidate, and I could tell who was rejoicing and who was mourning, even though there wasn’t much conversation. By lunchtime, a few people tested the water and a discussion began about the election around our lunch table, although nobody said anything that would offend someone who didn’t feel the same way. Even at the bus stop this afternoon, small groups were clustered, talking in whispers. It was all very dignified and politically correct, I thought.

Now I will watch and wait. I don’t know what’s going to happen, which promises will be kept, and what the future will hold for our country. The stock market took a nose dive today. I imagine it was due to a lot of people grabbing their capital gains before the predicted taxes go up on them. After the last month of economic crisis, the gasoline shortage and of the tail end of the presidential election, we’ve all been on a wild roller coaster ride. Nobody really knows what the best course of action for us individually is in regard to our retirement funds, our methods of saving, or our strategies for maneuvering into the future. We are watching our president-elect select his cabinet and chief advisors, and hope that his decisions are wise. We also wish him well with the enormous task that is now before him. Some of us are bitter, others are disappointed. Many are jubilant. History has been made, and change is definitely coming our way. Personally, I am weary of the whole shebang.

I just hope he doesn’t screw up!

No comments: