Sunday, November 30, 2008

Rainy Day

It rained all day yesterday. The raindrops tapped on our metal roof in gentle rhythm, lulling us all into a laziness that lasted the entire day.

We desperately needed a rain like this one, one that began during the night on Friday night, continued throughout the day yesterday, and is hanging on in the early hours this morning. Georgia has been in a severe drought for the past two years, and this type of rain is most welcome. I can visualize farmers dancing in their fields, slushing through the mud, raising their hands to the sky in thanksgiving and praise for this wonderful rainfall. I also can hear in my mind the prayers in churches this morning that include something about the rain as the streams, rivers and lakes all receive their manna from heaven.

Indeed, it was a lazy day in our house. None of us seemed able to muster the energy to get much accomplished. I was successful in getting our Christmas tree decorated, while Phil and the cats snoozed on the chaise, and Diamond stretched out on the living room rug to keep watch on what I was doing, working up the energy to wag her tail occasionally if I should pause to give her a pat on the head. Once the tree was dressed, and the lights were turned on, I settled in the lounge chair and joined my family in their reverie. Football games on the television kept us somewhat interested; however, we snoozed through many exciting plays, and only got the final score of some of them.

We didn’t want to cook, either. Since we didn’t have a traditional Thanksgiving feast on Thursday, there were no leftovers to nibble on, so I was forced to do something for our dinner. The easy way was the one I took- the crockpot. I put a pork roast in it around noon, and by 4:00, the aroma was enough to rouse us from our easy chairs to eat dinner. Phil and I put together a quick meal, and had an early supper, sharing nibbles of it with our “kids” as they sat patiently beside the table, eyes glued on us hoping for a hand-out. The glass of wine with dinner made us sleepy again, and back to the comfort of the living room and television we went.

Everyone needs days like this one which soothe the mind and replenish the soul. It was a day of hibernation, of rest and revitalization. The earth needed this day as well as we did, as the ground welcomed each raindrop, soaking it in and storing it for future use.

I love these rainy days………

No comments: