Saturday, November 22, 2008

Four Words

Tuesday evening after talking to Wade on my cell phone for a little while, I noticed that I had a text message waiting for me. When I checked to see what it was, there were only four words in the message, “I have breast cancer.”

This certainly wasn’t a message I wanted to receive, especially from the sender of the message, Lynne, one of my dearest friends. I immediately called her on the phone to respond to her short message. I remembered the phone call I received over seven years ago when my breast surgeon told me, “You have breast cancer.” I knew the feeling of receiving this message, and I knew that Lynne needed my support.

I’d never wish breast cancer on anyone, but once you know you have it, you are immediately a member of a sisterhood of support, prayers, faith, fears, and always optimism. It is the optimism and faith that keep you going as you make decisions on the best treatment, how to make it through the next few months, and ultimately how you are going to let it affect your life. For me, it has been an ongoing journey, one that I am still traveling, although I’ve had a clean bill of health now for a number of years. Lynne is at the beginning of her journey, and she has a lot to experience and learn. She will soon find out who her true friends are, who she can trust and whose advice she can cast aside, and how to block the negative remarks that come her way, always from well-meaning folks.

For me, it has been a life-changer. I live daily with the physical – the tightness on my left side, numbness that includes an itch that I can’t scratch, and a permanent ice cream scoop sized dent in my left breast. But on the spiritual side, breast cancer has also enriched my life. I welcome each day with thankfulness and hope, and I am now much more aware of my world around me. I’ve learned, and am still learning, what things are important, and which ones I can toss. I’ve met some wonderful people, and have made some great friends. I now wear a badge of honor, a little pink ribbon, and I walk proudly as a survivor in cancer walks.

Yes, Lynne, I’d never wish this on anyone, especially you. But I know that you are strong and determined, and I am confident that you are going to be fine.

Just like me.

No comments: