Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Another Snowy Day - Am I Still in Georgia?

It started late Sunday night after I went to bed. We all knew it was coming, but I was secretly hoping that this snow storm would be a false alarm, much like the one I remember in the mid-70’s, when I lived in Marietta.

On that eventful, or non-eventful, day as it turned out, I stayed glued to the parsonage windows with my little boys, eyes peeled to catch the first snowflake. We were ready for some winter fun – visions of building snowmen, sledding, and most definitely making snow angels were dancing in our heads. The television was tuned to a local channel, and the news announcer standing on one of the overpasses of I-75 kept telling us over and over that the snow was on its way. Businesses and schools all over Atlanta had either closed for the day or had sent children home early. While there was no white stuff falling, there was mayhem on the interstate as cars jammed it up, creating rush hour at 2:00 pm, their drivers and riders trying to get home before the storm hit. Every few minutes, we’d hear the announcer tell us that it wouldn’t be long- we were definitely in for a winter event. Sadly, it never arrived. We might have seen a few snowflakes that afternoon – I really don’t remember – but our dreams of playing in the snow drifted up into the winter sky, yielding no results.

This time was different. I woke up yesterday morning to a white world. Of course, the first thing I had to do was take my ruler out onto the deck to see how deep the snow was. Measuring about 4”, I knew that I would be staying home for the day. It didn’t matter that the company I now work for doesn’t have an inclement weather policy – I wasn’t going anywhere! The snow was still falling, and I was eager to get out in it to check things out. As I was heading out my door with Diamond for a morning stroll, my phone rang. It was my boss, telling me that the office was closed for the day. I was delighted, since I was facing taking a vacation day on my second week of work! Diamond and I ventured out onto our dirt road – no tracks. Ours were the first ones of the day. We then checked out the paved road. Only one set of tracks had disturbed the blanket of snow. Yes, it was going to be a good day to stay home. Now, if only the power would stay on for the day!


As the morning progressed, the snow changed to sleet, and then a misting freezing rain. I stood at my window, much like that day so many years ago, watching the day drift by. By mid-afternoon, Diamond and I were beginning to feel the effects of cabin fever, and decided to venture out once more. This time, it was more treacherous making it to the ground level. Our steps were covered with a crunchy layer of ice over the several inches of snow. Carefully, we conducted the slip test, discovering that if we stomped hard, we didn’t have to worry about slipping on the ice. With feet and paws finally firmly planted on the ground, we checked the bird feeder, and I dusted the snow off, allowing better access for our birds. There were now a few sets of tracks on our road, and a couple of four-wheelers roared past. The paved road was still snow and ice-covered, but a few more tracks showed me that some adventurous folks had braved the icy conditions. Diamond romped in the snow for a few minutes, took care of some necessary business, and we headed back home. Cold! It was sooo cold. I had bundled up pretty good, but my gloves were not made for snowy days, and my fingers began to throb. I knew it was time to get back indoors where it was warm.

So, now it is Day Two of the first (and I hope, last) snowstorm of 2011. Not only is the ground still covered with white, but the pine branches are heavy with a thin coating of ice. I’m still indoors with no plans to go anywhere today. Our office is closed again, so it must be pretty bad out there. I’ll bundle up once more a little later in the day, with two pairs of gloves on my hands this time, and go for a walk with my dog. I’ll look toward the sky, urging the sun to peep out from behind the clouds to melt some of this stuff, and eat another steaming bowl or two of homemade soup.

Springtime, where are you?

No comments: