Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Sunrise

One nice thing about my new job is my drive each day to work. I’ve never before had a job where my commute took me past pastures, hay fields, and rolling farm land. And, this is the first time in my working career that I haven’t been on the road well before the sun came up in the morning. For this job, I drive east and have the privilege of watching the morning sky change as daylights dawns on the Georgia countryside.

This morning’s sunrise was one of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen. As I drove along, I wished for my camera to take a photo of what my eyes could hardly believe. I left home just as the sky was beginning to show light. To the east, a multi-shaded orange glow draped the horizon, and to the west a band of icy clouds reflected the early light in a pinkish violet glow.

When I turned onto the road to Madison, the colors were changing second by second as the sun inched her way into the morning sky. Sunlight reflected off of the ice-laden clouds hovering along the horizon, shooting golden rays into the sky. A wash of blue began to deepen as day began in earnest. The frost on the barren fields and bales of hay sparkled with the dawning day. It seemed that nature was celebrating with a burst of color.

By the time I got to work, all of the colors had faded into a bright and clear winter morning. As I walked into the building, I was ready for my day.

I also began to wonder what my ride home would be like, when I’d be driving into the afternoon sunset after my work day is finished.

There are other good things to say about my new job, but for today nothing can top the way this day began.

No comments: