Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Shoe Truck

Today was the day for the shoe truck to arrive at my workplace. I had been looking forward to it ever since I began working at Amtico International earlier this month. I’ve never bought shoes out of a truck before, and I was ready for this new adventure. When I woke up this morning, my first waking thought was of new shoes. I could hardly wait to get to work.

Steel-toed shoes are required in my new place of employment. I am not allowed onto the manufacturing floor without them. One of the perks of employment is a new pair of shoes each year. I was eager to look at the selections in the shoe truck and hoped that I’d find a perfectly wonderful pair of new steel-toed shoes. Yes, I am easily entertained and amused by the simplest of pleasures.

My new friend, Angela, who has been at Amtico for several years walked with me out to the shoe truck, parked behind the plant. I think she wanted to accompany me because all I’ve been talking about the past couple of days is my excitement over the truck’s arrival. Once inside the truck, she left me on my own to select my shoes, and she headed back to the building.

The selection of women’s steel-toed shoes was sparse and disappointing. That is, until I spotted a pair of clogs! I commented to the salesman that they reminded me of my Crocs. I had no idea that one could get safety shoes in a slide-on style. Luckily, he had a pair in my size. Yes, they felt very much like Crocs on my feet. When I verbalized this out loud, he shot me a look verifying that he thought I was downright loopy. But, he wasn’t one to turn his back on a sale and quickly wrote up my receipt.

Once back inside the building, I was invited by Angela to walk with her back onto the manufacturing floor. I quickly slipped on my new shoes, wiggled my toes, and stepped confidently into the plant.

It’s amazing what worlds can open up when you’re wearing the right pair of shoes!

No comments: