Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Forever and Ever, Amen

This afternoon when I started my car to drive home from work, the song "I'm Gonna Love you Forever" by Randy Travis, was playing on my favorite country music radio station. Listening to the song brought back a recent memory.

Phil and I were driving home one evening, after having dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant. Like today, the car radio was tuned to the country music station. This song came on the air, and we began singing with Randy:

"As long as old men sit and talk about the weather,
As long as old women sit and talk about old men,
I'm gonna love you forever and ever,
Forever and ever, Amen."

We were each lost in our own thoughts as we sang along. I can't tell you what Phil was thinking about, but I know where my mind was taking me, filling me with sentimental thoughts about our relationship.

When the song ended, I turned toward Phil to make some kind of sappy and mushy comment, but I was stopped in my tracks and my voice was silenced. Tears were streaming down his cheeks and he was hastily wiping them with the palm of his hand.

My eyes welled up, and I said nothing. There was no need.

No comments: