Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Recurring Dream

I had it again last night. I've had this dream on a regular basis ever since I was a little girl. I was flying. I've heard that this is a common dream and one that has psychological meaning. I don't know what it could be, but my sister told me recently that she has a similar dream, so I'm thinking that it must be pretty common.

When I was a child, this dream centered around fairies, Peter Pan, and other make-believe fantasies. The dream always originated in my bedroom, where I would discover that I could float above my bed. I would then use a swimming motion to travel out the window into the outdoors and enjoy a euphoric adventure of flying above the houses and trees of my neighborhood.

As an adult, Peter Pan and fairies are no longer a part of my dream, but in many ways I am still a little girl whenever I dream this dream. It is now more of an awareness of levitating. In my dream, I realize that my feet aren't touching the floor and I slowly begin to drift skyward. It isn't an out-of-body experience - I feel that I am actually floating and I use my childhood swimming strokes to maneuver through the air, change directions and do flips and rolls. The dream is wonderful and freeing, and I always awaken with a let-down feeling of being earthbound once again.

I wish I could fly, but I know that this dream will return on another night. It always does. While gravity holds me to earth, my spirit is able to soar in my dream allowing me to escape the weight and limitations of reality.

Oh! To Fly!

No comments: