Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Collecting Things

Recently at lunch with some co-workers, the conversation centered around our collections. As we talked about what we collected, I began thinking about all of the things that I collect. Many of my collections are accidental - things I don't intentionally collect, but things that have found their way into my home and my life. These collections simply happened. I have miniature churches, demitasse cups and saucers, two boxes of picture postcards, shells from every beach I've ever walked, baskets, children's books, pitchers, windchimes. They are all collections, but things I haven't collected on purpose. What is it then that I intentionally collect?

Days! I collect days. Days of my life, days I treasure, remember, hold onto, and write about. Happy days, sad days, fearful days, boring days - they all hold their special place in my memory. I even wrote a book entitled the same as this blog, "A Collection of Days." Many of the days I've already written about will find their way into this collection.

I have a vivid memory, although quite selective at times. I recall particular days of my life as if a photograph had been taken of them. I recall smells and colors, songs and voices, textures and sensations. In my collection of days I can also drum up emotions, conversations, feelings, and memories of the most insignificant moments of my life.

I am a collector of days. And now, as I am sixty years old, I feel drawn to write about these days, to record and share them. The only way I can pass along my collection is through writing, which is exactly what I am beginning - right now!

No comments: