Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Moon Glow

The moon was full this morning as I left the house at 5:15 am to go to work. In the pre-dawn, with its soft golden glow, it illuminated the path to my car. As I turned from our driveway onto the road, I noticed the Man in the Moon smiling at me from its surface. Then, like one of those optical illusion puzzles, my vision shifted and the man's face disappeared. In its place was the Japanese Rabbit, dancing on the face of the moon.

It's been ten years since I was in Japan, gazing at the full moon with Ryoko, my interpreter and new friend. She pointed out to me the Rabbit on the moon and said that it is a sign of good fortune, and is often symbolized in Japanese art. Ever since that night in Japan, I've been able to see both the Man and the Rabbit, preferring to look for the Rabbit.

This morning I was awed as I always am by the full moon. For me, it was symbol of more than good fortune, but one of a promise - the promise that night would soon be over and a new day would dawn. It reminded me that the sun is shining, now on another part of the world, while most people in Georgia are still sleeping. It promised a glorious sunrise and a bright new day.

No comments: