Friday, January 9, 2009

Friends for a Moment, Friends for a Season, Friends for a Lifetime

I received a forwarded email this week with a poem about these three types of friends. The email was sent to me by a friend I’ve had since pre-school Sunday School class days. Receiving this email has made me think about these three types of friends.

Last night, while waiting for Phil to pay for our dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant, and while still under the influence of two strong margaritas, I was in a talkative mood. A lady standing next to me, waiting for her husband to pay, seemed to be in the same state of sobriety (or lack of it), and we started talking to one another. Little did we know that Phil and her husband were also striking up a conversation while waiting in line to pay. As they joined us, the four of us stood in the restaurant entry way for another 15 minutes chatting away like we were old friends. In that short period of time, we discovered that we have mutual friends, like the same kinds of foods, are the same age, and have some of the same political views. I learned that their names were Monty and Ann, but got no further than that. Phil handed Monty his business card as we parted company in the parking lot, so we may hear from them. Or, maybe not. These could be Friends for a Moment.

I have had many Friends for a Season. These are the ones who have come into my life under specific circumstances, and then have faded away for some reason. I think of school friends, college roommates, co-workers at the jobs I’ve had throughout my life, fellow students in graduate school, my commuter bus buddies over the past four years, and many others. A few of these friendships have stood the test of time to move into the category of Friends for a Lifetime, but the majority of them have drifted away and I’ve lost track of them. I still receive Christmas cards from a few of them, but that’s all. Their friendship is mostly memory, yet the impressions they made while friends has stuck with me and made an impression in my own life.

Then, there are the jewels – Friends for a Lifetime! Very rare indeed! And, oh so valued and treasured! Sometimes these friends are lost for a season or more, but when they are found, the reunion always feels like no time has passed at all. I marvel at these friendships and am thankful for them. These are the people who will be there for me through thick and thin, as I will be for them. These are the ones who came into my life at different periods and decided to stay. Or, if they left for some reason, have found their way back. Some knew me when I was a little girl or teen-ager, some knew my sons as babies, others have entered my life at other stages. The wonderful thing about these friendships is the endurance. They don’t let go, and they never give up. I don’t have an abundance of Friends for a Lifetime, but those I have are the ones I am supposed to have.

Enough will do just fine!

No comments: