Monday, January 12, 2009

Only in a Small Town!

Yesterday morning, I decided to drive over to the neighborhood supermarket to see if I could find some good prices on out-of-date meat. I hurriedly pulled on a pair of jeans, a sweat shirt and sneakers to make the one-mile trip to the store. The store opens at 8:00 am, and usually by 9:00 all of the sale items are gone. People in Social Circle are early-birds!

When I got there at 8:15, there was a handful of cars in the parking lot. I went straight back to the meat department, where several people hovered over the meat counter, shopping the sales. I selected a couple of black angus filet mignons whose dates had expired, and left the remaining treasures to the other shoppers.

I took my place in line at check-out behind a young woman. Immediately, I noticed that she was wearing fuzzy bedroom slippers. As my eyes traveled upward, I saw flannel pajama bottoms and then a matching pajama top, partially covered by a light jacket. Her hair was pulled up in a pony tail, and looked like it hadn't seen a comb or brush since the sun came up. As she placed her one item on the counter to be rung up, the cashier said to her, "Allison, you're in here early for a Sunday morning." Nothing was said about her attire.
To which she sleepily replied, "When I woke up, I discovered I was out of coffee filters, and I can't start my day without my coffee." Apparently, she had thrown on her jacket, and headed for the Freshway Market to get what she needed to make her morning cup of coffee!

With coffee filters in hand, she padded out of the store.

I paid for my steaks, and followed behind her. I was wondering why I had gone to the trouble to get dressed before going to the store!

Only in a small town!!

No comments: