Saturday, January 17, 2009

Planning for the Future

Recently while watching a book review on C-Span, I heard this quote from an author: "Plan your future as if there are an endless number of tomorrows, and greet each morning as it may be your last." I am an optimistic person who lives partly in the future, and being such I knew this statement needed additional thought on my part.

I know that I don't have an endless number of tomorrows. None of us do. However, as I plan for the future, I really don't spend much time contemplating my mortality. Death, whenever it comes, will cancel any plans I've made, but that's no reason for me to stop making them. I want to always be able to look ahead with anticipation and excitement of what is yet to come, but I also want to make sure that I don't miss out on something today if my sights are too far out in front of me!

I love imagining what the future holds and planning for upcoming events in my life. I am a great daydreamer, and I play scenarios over in my mind of what I think something in my future will be like. This is part of the fun of anticipation!

I have learned in my life, however, not to ignore the present. I welcome each morning with a prayer of thanksgiving for the possibilities of the new day and for whatever the day has in store for me. I just need to be careful that I don't ignore the present as I get ready for the future. I don't want to miss something wonderful and noteworthy today because I'm looking ahead of me, further on down the road.

It's a fine balance.

No comments: